- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 lemon rind and juice
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1kg Bay Sea Farms mussels
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Salt and pepper, to season
Heat oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring until onion is soft. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
Add finely chopped tomato, lemon rind, lemon juice, sugar and wine to pan. Stir until well combined. Increase heat to high. Bring sauce to the boil.
Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick. Season with salt and pepper. Add mussels to sauce. Cover and cook, shaking pan occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until mussel shells open.
Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty bread.